- Clarification of the concept and theoretical context
- Stakeholders in participation
- Reasons for participation and its significance for planning processes
- Prerequisites and quality standards for participation
- Forms, procedure and methods of participation
- Critical classification
Participation has gained currency again. Large-scale infrastructure projects demonstrate particularly well how important it is to involve the population in planning processes at an early stage. Communication strategies that take various forms, procedures and methods into account as well as quality standards and the specific spatial issues contribute to a successful process. This entry examines participation in the context of planning theory and outlines the most recent developments.